Peanut Butter Buckeye Balls With Popped Quinoa
SERVES: 1 dozen
- 10 medjool dates (roughly 5 ounces with the pit in)
- 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter (see note)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup popped white quinoa (see note)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons water, if needed
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Fleur de sel, if desired
- Remove pits from the dates and place in a food processor. Pulse until dates are in small pieces. Measure in the peanut butter and vanilla extract. Continue to pulse until the mixture is well combined. Add in the quinoa and pulse a few more times to incorporate quinoa.
- Take roughly 2 tablespoons of the mixture and roll into a ball. If the ball cracks and doesn’t roll easily, pulse in a tablespoon of water and check again.
- Roll mixture into 12 balls and place in the refrigerator.
- In a double boiler, heat chocolate and coconut oil until smooth. Take each ball and dip the bottom in the chocolate. Place on wax paper and repeat with remaining balls. If you have leftover chocolate, drizzle over the top. Once chocolate begins to firm, sprinkle with sea salt if desired.
Peanut Butter: I used peanut butter that had salt. If your peanut butter doesn’t, you may need to add a pinch to the mixture. Also, if your peanut butter has a looser texture, start with 3 tablespoons of peanut butter and add more as long as the mixture isn’t too soft.